Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Hildebrand- Two Universities

It doesn't seem fair to compare Loyola to Trinity, I find them so distinct in their own natures and dramatically contrasting. Trinity is teeming with antiquity and Irish allure, it's the beating heart of Dublin. Loyola feels new and modern with a cultural air that comes with anything situated in New Orleans. Trinity is dominated by tourists come to see the Book of Kells or walk the historic campus; Loyola is overflowing with musicians and artists, everyone creating and collaborating.


So, I have compiled a very short pro's and con's list for both universities:

Trinity Pro's

  • Amazing accommodations
  • Beautiful and clean campus
  • Campus cat with it's own accommodations 
Trinity Con's

  • Everything is expensive and must be payed for (Internet, printing, laundry, etc.)
  • Cobblestone walkways
  • Random cars on campus
  • Tourists
Loyola Pro's

  • So many free things (Internet, printing, laundry, etc.)
  • Small campus
  • Kick-ass library
  • Extremely easy to navigate
Loyola Con's

  • Unsatisfactory living conditions
  • Lack of dreamy landscaping
  • Campus cats are feral

Most of these are trivial things (except the cats, I don't mess around when it comes to campus cats;) I can't say any of these individual things would make me prefer one school to the other. I love living on Trinity's campus, but a part of me knows that is highly dependent on the fact that I'm in a new city, somewhere that I don't know like the back of my hand. Simply the fact that I'm living in Dublin makes this campus welcoming, it's not the normal and seductive. But Loyola is my home, I'm never frightened there. I know the buildings and recognize the faces surrounding me.

Truth be told, I'm in love with both universities and cities. Both are alive with colorful people and places to go. The cars and drivers are just as reckless; it rains whenever the sky feels like it and no one seems bothered. They both carry a sort of charm that's hard to describe: I feel like I could burst into song and, instead of being ogled at, someone will join in with me and we can raise our voices without societal repercussions. That feelings comes with a special atmosphere that can only be found in the nooks and crannies of the universe, private havens for the one's who pin their heart to their lapel.

No comments:

Post a Comment