Sunday, July 22, 2012

(Arruebarrena) Why not try Nando's?

Photo from Menupages.ie
Across the Dublin Information Center, situated right off Dame Street, a chain restaurant brought out of Portugal, Nando's, serves some very nice hot-sauced chicken .  They're quick to tell you they do not operate like a normal restaurant, for the customer must order from the counter.  However, I assume this is no problem for most people these days.  The kitchen is in main view from the counter, and, if you wanted something other than the chicken, you might just change your mind.  You'll see them grilling the chicken, and you'll catch a whiff of it.  Now, I've grown accustom to the self-service-type restaurant, but this place had a uniqueness.  Nando's manufactures their own type of Peri-Peri Pepper Sauce, and I owe it to this little place for introducing me to the peri-peri pepper-type sauce.

 
Photo from Brotherswithnogame.com
After doing a fine job explaining how to maneuver around the menu, the waiter returned to his host position in the front.   My contemplation didn't take long.  I wanted the chicken, the spicy corn, and the mashed potatoes.  I went up to the counter and ordered, costing 8-10 euros, then, I filled my tap water glass, grabbed my plate and silverware, and sat down.  Interrupting my gaze of a family across the room, the waiter quickly arrived with my food.  I thought that was quick, like.  A little tooth-pick flag was on my chicken, it said Hot, and the corn was on the cob next to my mashed potatoes and garlic bread. 

I went to the hot-sauce counter and got every kind.  They were lemon-based and garlic-based, and etc.  I tried them all to find out the lemon-based stood out to me the most.  Since Nando's spices the chicken to every order, the skin and not the meat is spiced.  Regardless, it was delicious.  The corn, also covered in peri-peri sauce, got my nose a-runnin'.   Complimenting the meal quite well, the mashed potatoes impressed me.  I gulped that meal down, sparing no bits. 

Due to how mostly all their dishes had peri-peri sauce dabbled on, I would imagine only dining in this restaurant in relatively elongated periods of time if I lived in Dublin.  For the new-comer, like me, I was greatly impressed.  I would describe the place as a cross in between KFC and TGIF, being fast and efficient yet a nice fine-dining feel.  I have found a similar peri-peri sauce in Dunne's, and now use it for most meals.  I would highly suggest this place for anyone interested in some interesting spicy chicken on the cheap side.

3 comments:

  1. Good review. Good job covering price and process. Is it a typical unique fast food atmosphere? How's it different? Also, do they sell anything else besides chicken or have any special sides?

    And what about us poor milk allergists? Where's the ultra-specific dietary suggestions and warnings for us? Next time you should consider making your post entirely about how to avoid milk at a restaurant. I think you'd find it very rewarding. Well, ok, or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's far different than fast food, though it is relatively fast. They present the food with nice heavy plates and even the side dishes get their own plates and bowls. Unless the hot sauce has some milk substance in it, I am sure the chicken is fine to eat. They actually do have a variety of other food, like chicken wings, sandwiches (mostly chicken too), and other stuff. But if you go there you'd notice that they are really just known for their spicy chicken. ;)

      Delete
  2. Michael, The little bit about Portugal is good. It creates a context for the hot food. Were the cooks and servers also Portuguese? Polish up your prose; you leave words out, and some of your sentences are infelicitous. You say this place has a uniqueness; better to say the place was unique. You would not say what your wrote. I suggest you read out loud what you have written before you post. You will catch some of the problems of style.

    ReplyDelete