Tuesday, July 3, 2012

(Dietze) The Grass is Always Greener...

As the saying goes, the grass is always greener on the other side. Well, coming from urban New Orleans to Dublin that is very literally true. Not only is the grass an incredibly poignant shade of vibrant green, it is also, very sadly, off limits to walk on. Walking around Trinity College's campus there are several patches of this beautiful grass and upon passing by one most resist the extremely tempting urge to kick off their shoes, lay down for a nice nap, have a picnic, or any other things you might be inclined to do in a lush grassy field. For if you do, as Professor Bell would put it, "They will come at you with sticks. Sticks with medieval shit on them."



Now, this is just one of many things that a person is inclined to do when arriving in such a magnificent place. Others might include... drinking a pint of Guinness, munching down on some fish & chips, mingling with the locals, drinking another pint of Guinness...


Dublin is filled with this feeling of mystic. Strolling around the streets you'll pass delicious eateries of all sorts, eccentric pubs and night clubs, celtic souvenir stores, whiskey & cigar shops, and great street performers. I've found these were some similarities to my home in New Orleans and Dublin-- they 'appreciate' alcohol,  hold a welcoming hospitality, and talented local music.  I find there is just something in the air that gives a relaxed, content feeling.



My adventure here has just begun, though I all ready feel its going to quickly. As I wonder through the historic streets of Dublin, my mind begins to wander into the past.

Streets of Dublin take me in.


3 comments:

  1. I liked your title a lot--it's very appropriate for Ireland. I also liked that you included Dr. Bell's statement. It's a great in-the-moment detail, plus I had missed the second half of the statement the first time.
    I think you might consider combining your second and third paragraphs. Either that or develop the second paragraph a little more or cut it altogether. As it is now, I feel like I want to know more.
    Good job overall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice reflections. I also enjoyed you putting Dr. Bell's statement in there. And title kicks the whole passage to a wonderful start. And i must say, that is a lovely picture of the Mona Lisa. I agree that you could continue on. This a very upbeat blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it so hard as a Loyola student where we basically live in the quads at Loyola hard not to enjoy the plush green quads of Trinity. The patches of plush grass almost remind you of a nice comfortable rug that you just want to sprawl out on and gaze into the sky above you.

    ReplyDelete