Wednesday, July 4, 2012

(McNeil) First Impressions

As I walked onto the platform leading me into the Dublin airport my first reactions was that I definitely was not in Mississippi anymore.  The brisk cool air hit me like a brick wall and it was refreshing considering I was coming from a place where you begin to sweat the minute you step foot outside.  The second thing I noticed was that the airport was very modern and clean looking, which was a good sign for me considering I'm a bit of a clean/organizational freak myself.  As I collected my luggage and headed towards the bus stop I contemplated on what my first day in Dublin would be like.  As I waited for the blue bus to arrive and wisk me off to Trinity College a kind Irishmen greeted me and offered his knowledge of direction to help me get to the school.  As we road and Mr. Murphy spoke I took in all the glory that was my first sight of Ireland.  Close to the airport we passed rollings slopes of green hills and it almost reminded me of the country back home, but cold and much more relaxing.

Once I arrived at the university I checked in and was brought to where I'd be staying for the next month. I was the first one here out of the program so it was a tad intimidating being there alone.  Though I was a bit nervous every Irish person I've encountered on my trip here so far has been more than welcoming and warm.  Though with my heavy southern accent and their heavy Irish accents there is a bit of a language barrier even though we are both speaking english.  Never the less I figured I can normally play charades with the person and they will eventually understand what I'm trying to convey.  Adjusting to another time zone and country has definitely been hard but the warm people of Ireland have definitely made it much easier.


1 comment:

  1. I am not sure clean brisk air would hit one like a brick wall, and remember to capitalize English. Did you actually take the photo directly above? It doesn't look like Dublin!

    ReplyDelete