Wednesday, July 11, 2012

DeBold- The Sweeney Mongrel




Photo Cred: google images
        By the time it hit 10:30 we had been buzzing around Grafton Street all night. My mates were already in the midst of conversation with scruffy looking guys, easy on the eyes no doubt.  I gently sipped the froth of my third Guinness and took in the crisp night air.  The back ally of The Sweeney Mongrel faces Dame Street. The door has a mural of Jimi Hendrix and a multicolor mosaic overhang that looms over the narrow cobble-stoned road. The porch walls are decorated with nonsensical graffiti. Inside, dim lighting and a collection of vintage rock n’ roll posters smother orange floral wallpaper. Waves of young people flow in and out of the large double doors. A local band called the 68’s is covering Pink Floyd.
Photo Cred: google images 
         I purposefully take an exaggerated drag of my cigarette and let the burning butt fall to my side. “Are yee Spanish then?” asks a fellow next to me. He is wearing a tacky New York Mets hat and a greasy white hoodie.  “Do you honestly like the Mets?” I return. He laughs, obviously unaware of my sarcasm.  
           With no excuse to stay outside with the rest of these  tourists and blubbering drunkards, I make my way towards the dance floor. A few elbows and nudges finally brought me face-to-face with handsome musicians rocking out, “HEY! TEACHER! Leave those kids alone!” The entire bar joined in on the chorus. As always, I was spilling beer all over my dress, “Oh Crap” I groan. I pushed through the noisy crowd of hip twenty-something’s and head towards the downstairs bathroom.  Couches and tables are full of canoodling couples who were likely strangers until that night. 
Photo cred: google images 
            I am out of place with my long black dress and bulky leather jacket. I looked like Trinity from the matrix meanwhile girls paraded their figures around in sparkly mini-skirts and wicked cool haircuts.  There is no room at the bar but I order another beer with a combination of eye contact and hand motions. Four-eighty Euro for a pint of Guinness- no wonder all of my money has been disappearing. I find a seat at a green bench against the backstreet doors. Trying to pass the time I begin rolling another cigarette. Tobacco spills on the table but, I don't bother to save it. I look over my shoulder and hold a gaze with a tall man with a long black ponytail and a thick leather jacket. The band begins a new cover set; I think it was AC/DC.  My eyes search outside for a familiar face.  
           She is admiring an energetic fellow playing an Irish jig on his tin-whistle.  A guitarist and lap-drummer contrast his fast-paced melody.  I join her and lean against the psychedelic-blue painted brick wall of the lively pub.
          “The instep of your shoe suggests you are a contradiction” someone behind me mutters.  I turn around to find myself next to the handsome man in the leather jacket. He takes a gulp of his beer and looks away uninterested, as if he was merely stating a simple observation to no one in particular.       
         “Excuse me?” I say,  struck by his allusiveness, “What is your name?”
        “Orestes, but everyone calls me Romeo,” he answers with a toothy grin. 

3 comments:

  1. Grammar guide: Learn when to use who and when to use whom. I doubt that I would even condescend to answer someone who was so pretentious in his speech, as ponytail. Romeo is too much--so is toothy grin. Get out of that bar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny that you say that actually, a friend described the place as dangerous... I couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great and realistic description of the bar and situation. Felt like I was back there with you. Really enjoyed this piece, and leaves a suspense-ful ending to its reader.

    ReplyDelete