Thursday, July 19, 2012

(Little) Cafe Joly

I had already watched two episodes of Arrested Development before I realized that, for the first time in almost a week, I had the afternoon free. I put down the Nutella I was eating with a spoon, pulled on some shoes, and set out in search of some form of adventure. Banners advertising the National Library of Ireland caught my attention as I turned from Nassau Street onto Kildare Street. A helpful man handed me a map as I wandered into the library lobby. Armed with my hot-pink backpack, map, and camera I couldn't help but laugh at myself: the fumbling American tourist off seeking adventure in a library.

I stumbled into Cafe Joly only after getting sufficiently lost in the National Library, as every good tourist should. This understated cafe immediately struck me with its ambiance: the modern style of the white chairs, the abstract art hanging on the walls. Many patrons sat comfortably reading a book with cappuccino in hand, adding to the casual atmosphere. I pulled out my copy of Ulysses and joined my fellow readers while I pondered Cafe Joly's massive menu.

Every day Cafe Joly offers an array of homemade sandwiches, soups, and hot-dish specials all made with locally grown produce and Irish cheese. If all those choices don't leave you completely conflicted, the cafe also home-bakes their own cakes, scones, and tarts available all day, every day.

It was a difficult decision but I finally chose to order the roasted turkey sandwich on ciabatta bread with cranberry spread and brie. Any expectations I had were completely blown out of the water when I took that first bite. The turkey was thick and full of flavor, the bread was fresh and light, and the cheese was more tender and succulent than anything I've ever tasted. My favorite ingredient in this heavenly sandwich was the light cranberry spread. This subtle use of fruit gave the sandwich a delectable tang that, when mixed with the other flavors, drove my pallet wild.

I ate my sandwich slowly, savoring both the incredible flavor of my lunch and of Cafe Joly itself. Although I'm typically a fast eater, I spent almost an hour and a half lounging in my seat, contemplating each bite of my delicious sandwich. After spending almost three weeks in Dublin, I can honestly say I've found my favorite lunch destination.

2 comments:

  1. Why the overwritten introduction to the National Library? Just begin by saying something simple about your interest in the library, the exhibit, etc. So, even with the impressive Yeats exhibit, the most important thing was the lunch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the Yeats exhibit as well, but I meant for this post to count as my restaurant review so I did not include it.

    ReplyDelete