Tuesday, July 3, 2012

DeBold- Shades of Grey but Alive and Well




        
     There is a certain something about Dublin.  Even on a sunny day, the sky sustains a thick grey tint even on the sunniest of days.  The buildings too have this shade to them but I would not say that Dublin is a dreary city.  I say it is quite the opposite actually; the city is very much so alive. It has a pulse, one that I have never seen before, even after living in New Orleans and New York. 
 

        Women confidently striding with pretty freckles on their noses and fiery red locks (of who are quite the eye-popping contrast with all of the grey).  On the corner of Nassau Street, a little red head delicately plucked the strings of her Irish harp. Another older man with a ponytail and a thick beard was trying to make a buck playing rock n’ roll electric-guitar rifts on Grafton Street. Grogan’s Pub was flooded with men smoking pipes and sipping the froth off the top of their Guinness pints.  


                 The Temple Bar, having slight resemblance to Bourbon Street, is riddled with tourists and toothy smiles beckoning the camera happy people to come and buy some fish n’ chips. 
 
I smile at the crosswalk signal's uncanny resemblance to R2D2 . Even so, I have already nearly lost my lunch after a close encounter with a double decker bus cutting corners as if racing the grand prix. 
        
        
                        From the kick-off, Dublin has taken me by surprise. People are friendly and (even more so) incredibly interesting. Some time during this trip I am going to make a conversation with an old Irish man reading the News paper- there always seems to be at least one in every pub or bench.  The people of Dublin, as I have seen so far, are not who I believed them to be following Joyce’s Dubliners.  These people are not trapped or paralyzed as the book implies. The Irish in Dublin are strong people with a solid grasp of who they are and, to be honest, I think they even like who they are- I know I do.













4 comments:

  1. Great description of the city, I could pick out images in my memory perfectly. Good note about how the people are not like Joyce's characters, I felt like he didn't do them justice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree about Dubliners and their grounding in their city. In a way, they have a rabid sense of knowing themselves, and now that I think of it, maybe that's what Joyce was getting at. When a person believes to their death in who they are and what they stand for, it can be earth shattering if that person realizes something they had been missing all along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree with you with "Dubliners." The city is way more lively, and the people are firm and proud of who they are. I like the picture of the red head and how you describe the crosswalk's signal to be liken of R2D2. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point about Bourbon Street and Temple Bar. I also like your picture and description of the red-headed harpist. The gloomy sky over the Tuppenny Bridge is very evocative.

    ReplyDelete