Tuesday, July 3, 2012

(Rochon) Dublin Night and Day



Ode to Hospitality
When I got my room key, I felt a slight twinge of dread; my room was located on the third floor.  One of the guys from Accommodations helped me bring up my luggage by kindly talking the heavier of my two bags.  As we began our assent up the seemingly countless stairs, I quickly began to perspire.  At the last two flights, I had to take a slight breather.  Then the guy opened the door to the room and put both of my suitcases in it.  I thanked him a lot then proceeded to explore my Irish abode.  A nice hallway, lovely kitchenette, a lounge, and a cozy bed with the best mattress ever found at a college dorm.  I was so happy, I took pictures of the whole place. Immediately I got settled in and gazed at the wonderful view of Dublin from my window that I occasionally open to take pictures of buses and buildings. It was well worth the climb up those six or eight flights of stairs.

Dublin At Night
At night, the city is quieter.  A few stray buses and taxis zoom around the streets in search of parking or home. The noise from the lights can be heard from your room.  Groups of drunken people can also be seen and heard roaming about merrily.  The population of the city drastically declines at night, but never hits zero.  Dublin never sleeps, rather it dozes off for a few hours at night then springs back into action in the morning.  It remains wide awake throughout the entire day until hours after sunset. The sun sets around 9:45p.m – 10pm; contrastingly to Louisiana. The rain comes and goes in relatively short intervals, and usually stops at nightfall.  And so I gazed at the somewhat quiet town displayed before my window, and listened to the voices of seagulls (why they were still up, I’ll never know) flying above until I felt weary and crawled into my bed.

A Little Trip 
It was my first day in Ireland and the most important thing was the food… Where to get it?  The best and cheapest answer (as far as I know) is Marks & Spencers!!  It’s basically like a Winn-Dixie; a little grocery store that carries food, some household materials, and a flower shop.  I bought British ham and chicken, Irish water (just discovered today it was mineral water), Irish pasta that I really a pot to boil it in, a huge bottle of olive oil (please have some if you need it I couldn’t find a smaller size L), and Irish butter that’s rather soft and tastes good.  The pharmacy store called, “Boots,” was next; it contained a lot of makeup, first aid kits, and tweezers priced at twenty euros to thirty euros each (simply because they had printed paw prints on it).  Then walked up the four or five or six flights of stair to get to my room on the third floor (not very enjoyable as I’m sure most of you have experience). Not a bad day at all… 

5 comments:

  1. Marks and Spencer is just about the most expensive place in the city to buy food. If you want cheaper food, go to Tesco's. It is located on Fleet Street in Temple Bar. Good luck getting cheaper food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think this city ever sleeps! I got woken up last night by college boys yelling outside my window.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first grocery experience also involved my discovery of Irish butter. I've always been enthralled by Smith's creamery and their packaging (one big cylinder of butter rather than sticks). While Irish butter is still a rectangular prism, it's a solid one rather than four sticks, like Smith's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Dr. McCay Marks and Spencers is pretty pricey but Dunes grocery store in the mall close to the park is pretty good and the prices are way better and you have more variety of groceries. It kind of reminds me of a better walmart or lesser target.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh... well thanks ya'll... it seemed cheap...

    ReplyDelete