Thursday, July 19, 2012

(Arruebarrena) Fashion in London

On my trip in London, I had one day to explore the city.  I was staying with a few friends in a hostel called Safe Stay in Waterloo, which is located not too far from Piccadilly Square also known as the Times Square of London.  While we walked around this megalopolis, I noticed something very overwhelming about the people there - the fashion.   I am not very acquainted with any type of style, but I will do my best to create a fashion blog out of the sneaky snap shots I have taken.




We were walking along the River Thames near the London Eye, the world's largest Ferris wheel, and I spotted this man on his phone.  He was sporting some type of denim purple jacket, with red corduroy pants and some nice brown converse-esque shoes.  He immediately caught my attention.









We crossed the Westminster Bridge and saw Big Ben with all it's glory.  Hordes of tourists stifled us, so we kept going. As we passed Parliament square we saw the phone booths, which everyone had to take a picture of as they passed, including me.  After trying to call the Irish Ferries to correct our booking mistake (they weren't taking calls at the time), we continued on Birdcage Walk, a street along St. James Park which leads to the Queen's crib.  We had arrived to Buckingham Palace!  And I found this great outfit.
Of Course, everyone knows what the Yeomen of the Guard look like. 






We continued to walk through the Buckingham Palace Gardens on the pathway to Hyde Park corner, and I spotted this lady.  She is wearing a leather jacket with a sleeveless fur coat draped over her.  Her hair was propped up and she too was on the phone.  She had stockings on with an interesting type of high heels that have no heel, which is something very popular in London.  It is difficult to tell from this picture. 






We walked out of the wilderness, and into Piccadilly street, heading towards Piccadilly Circus.  After we passed the busy intersection and continued down Shaftesbury Avenue, we stumbled into the Chinatown of London, where we got some decent Chinese buffet.  Here, I found an incredible amount of fashion.



Note that everyone I've photographed, so far, was talking on their smart phones.  This metro-looking man had some type of jean jacket with a dotted button-up shirt.  He had tight jeans and a pair of high-top Nike shoes.  Obviously, he was keen on fashion.



Catty-corner from him, was this other man with a tight fade of fizzy dirty-blond hair.  He had very sleek glasses to frame his face.  He had some striped silk button-up jacket, holding his black jacket.  He also had some sort of tight pants on. 











In this area of London, I was bombarded with all kinds of fashion; unfortunately, most of the time it was difficult to take a picture without seeming creepy.  

The style of this city caught my attention, and, apart from these ultra-trendy people, there was also very stylish businessmen and businesswomen.  Seeing the fashion of a city can key you in on the personality of the city.  I would say that this area was certainly posh.  The fashion, alone, is something that makes London a worthy visit.

5 comments:

  1. Doctor Who doesn't travel in a phone booth, he uses a police box! They're blue and aren't even used in England anymore. I like your sneaky picture-taking, but most people will be kind enough to pose for you if you ask nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, you're right.. I'm going to edit that out hah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having people pose would ruin the whole fun of Michael's sneaky fashion blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun post. You could develop that conclusion more thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Piccadilly Circus--get the language right. I like the way you relate your walk to looking at the way people dress. That gives your reader a sense that you are not just looking at tourist sites, though you do point them out. You are also looking at people and seeing them through a specific lens. I agree with Robert--it is the conclusion that needs work.

    ReplyDelete