Thursday, July 5, 2012

Hildebrand - Always Being Blind

I wasn't personally in Dublin in 1914, so forgive me future inaccuracies. Walking Dublin headed towards North Richmond Street, home of the boy narrator from Araby, I could feel the ghosts from Joyce's stories; the pictures I made in my head from "Dubliners" fit perfectly on the streets I walked. The high speed cars, buses, street lights, and modern street signs betray a modern air, but they can't quite cover up the past. The houses are bricked with brightly colored doors and windows perched open with laundry hanging out to dry.

In Araby, the little boy says North Richmond Street is blind, quiet except for the the boys school lets out. I passed this school: it's being renovated and is covered in tarps and dust. In the distance, though, Croke Park can be seen; the stadium has been used to house Gaelic games since 1884 and Joyce would have certainly been familiar with it. However, the stadium underwent a redevelopment program in the 1990s and now has a capacity of 82,300, something Joyce definitely wouldn't be accustomed to.

North Richmond Street still ends in a blind end. The houses, I imagine, don't appear much different from when Joyce was observing them. Both sides of the street seem to stare at each other with, as Joyce says, "imperturbable faces." The atmosphere is bleak and quiet, not a single car passed as I wandered the small street. Modern adjustments include a printing store, tiny European cars, and large traffic signs.



2 comments:

  1. I felt the same way about the street. For some reason as soon as we started walking around I wanted to get out of there, I felt like I couldn't really breath. I am assuming that the boy narrator in Araby felt similarly. I also like how you described being able to see Joyce's characters in the setting. I agree; I definitely have a better understanding of the characters perspectives now that we have seen so much of the city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your point about Croke Park is excellent, but remember it would not have been visible from the street in Joyce's Dublin because it would not have been higher than the houses. It was a quiet street in Joyce's day (except when the school let out), and it still seems a quiet street today. Joyce makes the street seem dead; Your pictures, while showing the street in sunshine, still reveal a quiet street.

    ReplyDelete