Monday, July 23, 2012

(Rochon) Captain Morgan Anyone?


Provided by Google
Participating in the Dublin City Pub Crawl has its advantages.  One of those perks is finding a good place to eat.  O'Neill's Bar & Restaurant is located on 2 Suffolk Street Dublin 2 (roughly a five minute walk from Trinity College) and is the second stop in the Dublin City Pub Crawl.  I highly recommend visitors to visit O'Neill's because it definitely aims to fill their customers' empty bellies.  The serving sizes are American sized: HUGE.  By huge I mean a roughly seven and half inches in diameter plate covered in the main course you order, a scoop of bread crumb stuffing, two scoops of mash or roasted potatoes, a scoop of vegetables, a salad, and a few different sauces to coat your food.  After looking over the menu for the fifth time, I ordered the Singapore Styled Chicken accompanied with egg noodles mixed with zucchini, mash potatoes, bread stuffing, and three tiny stalks of broccoli.  Singapore styled chicken at O'Neill's is similar to consuming sweet and sour chicken at P.F. Chang's or Five Happiness, except slightly more spicy.  The egg noodles are cut thin and are mixed in the chicken's sauce and zucchini.  I am not a lover of mashed potatoes, but the mashed potatoes at O'Neill's were heavenly.  They are whipped smoothly and completely, leaving no annoyingly hard chunks to chew on, and had a perfect buttery taste that gave it body.  Whatever else the chefs put in it them, kicks out the dull flavor I taste ninety-five percent of the time at home and in other restaurants.


Provided by Google
 In the midst of consuming the food I'd gladly order for the rest of my life, I got up to order a drink.  The bartender poured me a glass of water, and used another glass of the same height (about six inches) to pour out a shot of Captain Morgan.  Unwilling to waste any good drink, he gave me the glass he used that contained a few drops of rum that did not fit into the shot glass.  Not wanting to carry three glasses, I simply picked up the glass with the spare droplets of rum and drank it down.  The woman sitting next to me let out a loud gasp at this; which caused me to stop drinking midway.
"What?!" I asked; very surprised anyone would react to me just taking a drink.
"You just drank it straight! Without anything..." she replied.
"Yeah... Less glasses to carry," I said, as I finished the last few drops.
"Oh..." she seemed slightly taken aback. Then asked "What is it called?"
I set my empty glass down, and responded "Captain Morgan."
I bade her good bye and returned to my sit with my shot of Morgan and glass of water.  This time, in contrast to traditionally drinking a shot whole, I drank my rum modestly (one sip at a time) to savour the taste.  Thus, fulfilling one of my bucket list objectives; to drink a shoot of Captain Morgan straight.  A satisfying way to end the evening.


2 comments:

  1. Loved the last section of the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice part about Captain Morgan, but it is fewer not less glasses. Keep that in mind. English has countable--glasses, tables, books--nouns that use fewer, and uncountable nouns--milk, cream, hope, etc.--that use less. The same goes for many (used with countable nouns) and much (used with uncountable nouns).
    Your grammar Nazi.

    ReplyDelete