Tuesday, July 24, 2012

DeBold- Restaurant Review




Photocred:Tumblr
     The weekend trip in Belfast was miserable and I am ecstatic to be back in Dublin. Throughout the trip I needed to consciously discern between what I can eat and what would bring about inevitable food poisoning. I did not have the opportunity to splurge on a good meal in Belfast and so, fast food from shoddy restaurants was all I ate.
             We pull up to the side of Trinity college and exit the Bus. I stretch my legs, for the first time in hours, and my stomach begins to growl. Now that I am back in Dublin, I know that I need a decent meal.M. J O’Neill’s is just down the street from Trinity College’s front gate. Up a block from Dame Street and onto Suffolk Street. We had visited the pub at one point during our Literary Pub crawl. We only had twenty minutes to slam down a pint so I opted out of eating there. In those twenty minutes however, I remember staring at the food bar and peoples plates; everything looked delicious. As my stomach’s noises become increasingly louder, that exact food I had seen at M.J O’Neill’s is on my mind.

I dodge a double decker bus turning at the corner and pull the door open into O’Neills. I am sure I have entered through the gates of Heaven as my nose immediately fills with the scent of steak, potatoes and Guinness. I beeline for the food bar and wait impatiently behind a line of irritating old Italian women with cameras.  The walls are covered with vintage metal signs and advertisements. “Drink Guinness it's Good for you!” one says with a pint of smiling froth.  People are scattered all over the bar, sitting on high chair tables and at small corner booths.  I see a Woman’s plate stacked full with mashed potatoes, Wicklow lamb shepherd’s pie and mushy peas. My cravings start to get the best of me and I decide to just splurge a little. Most of the menu is over 10euro in the hot food aisle while sandwiches vary from 2-7 euro. 


The food options are vast and each looks freaking delicious. I literally cannot decide which meal to get- I wish I could have one of each. All I can think about is a never-ending spiel of all of O’Neil’s fresh cooked food, and then about going back to their sandwich bar for desert. A cute ginger guy with a chef’s hat cuts slices of steaming corned beef. Could I marry him? Would he give me free corned beef if I offer? I decide against it and opt for the breaded stuffed chicken smothered in Irish red cheddar with a pineapple slice on top. The serving size surpasses my fist’s size but I still want to ask for that salmon dressed in white cream sauce and lemon. Rather, I get some rosemary potatoes with soft cooked carrots and a lot of gravy. A Scottish woman cuts the line and gets to walk off with her food before me; I am pissed but let it go as soon as I get to the register. After ordering a Carlsberg, the total is just over 15euro luckily the meal looks like it will be completely worth it. I find a seat at a small high table facing a large screen showing a hurling game.
google images
I heard later on that Dublin won a big game that day but I couldn’t tell you if it is the one I saw on that projector- I am way to consumed by my meal at O’Neill’s. The food is so good that despite hitting satisfaction around halfway through, I force myself to nearly clean my plate. The chicken is incredibly savory while the potatoes are rich with flavor. The Irish cheddar is a nice addition to the crunchy breaded chicken and dried cranberries are imbedded within the stuffing. I drench my potatoes and carrots in a dark thick gravy which adds a bit of a sweet flavoring.  I feel nostolgic for a thanksgiving turkey feast but if anything, I wouldn't mind having this meal on holiday instead.  O’Neill’s is a special treat and my stomach feels redeemed following the shoddy food in Belfast. 


3 comments:

  1. First paragraph: As well as having tense shift problems, the paragraph doesn't account for food poisoning. Did it occur only in Belfast, or has the writing been having food poisoning problems since the beginning of the trip? A restaurant review would not ordinarily start with the problem of food poisoning. Also being back in Dublin seems to solve the problem, but there is no clarity as to why.
    The review has no real information about the Bar: where is it, how expensive is it, etc. Those are things, among others, that people want to know about.
    Last paragraph about game is not clearly integrated. I would leave it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you both have been commenting on my tense shifts but I am utterly confused as to what would be the right way to tackle the first paragraph. I am trying to stay in the present tense while also trying to reflect upon my past experience in Belfast. Also, why should I expand on the food poisoning thing? At least three people became ill from the food in Belfast but I don’t think that is important enough for me to further explain for my piece. I am simply trying to make clear my desire for a good meal- and my resolution is going to O’Neill’s.

      Delete
  2. i enjoy your enthusiasm for O'Neills, but I wonder why is food poisoning inevitable in general? Watch the mechanics and especially the tense shifts (I know you've heard that before). Maybe linger a little more on the taste and quality of the food in the last paragraph.

    ReplyDelete