Wednesday, July 4, 2012

(Arruebarrena) The Campus (Dis)connection


As I think of the similarities and differences of Loyola and Trinity, Louis Armstrong speaks to me and he says (not the real lyrics of the song):

"I see skies of grey
 hills of green
 bright hazy days
 dark short nights
 and I think to myself... what a wonderful world."

I am realizing the two campuses are not that different, the two cities are strikingly similar, and perhaps I could venture to say that most of the world is not that different.  Thanks, Louis.

Nevertheless, one of the major differences of Trinity and Loyola is that the campus is in the center of Dublin's downtown district.  One is likely to see a stern businessman walking through the campus to get across town.  Hoards of tourist are chaffered through the historic campus trying to capture a glimpse of the book of Kells, or simply visit the the intellectual haven of their favorite Irish novelists.  The Trinity campus is older than the city of New Orleans, and the book of Kells may be as early as the beginning of the dark ages.  This place has fascinating history.

Now, I find myself wondering, "What if Loyola was at the center of downtown New Orleans?  What if both Loyola and Tulane were downtown?"  Would downtown New Orleans still be as dirty?  Would there be even more tours then there are at Loyola?  Of course the development of the downtown area would have been much more different, and the campuses would have high metallic gates like Trinity. 
So it makes sense.  Trinity's institute is well guarded.  The tours are plenty.  The grass is well protected, and those high fyling gulls always seem to be laughing.  The sizes of the two campuses are pretty much the same, and, although I know nothing about architecture, the style of Trinity is relatively similar to Loyola.  For both campuses, a green field greets you as you walk towards a tall angelic Catholic building.  The color white seems to predominate the buildings at Trinity, while red is overwhelming at Loyola.  The dorm rooms are surprisingly very spacious and relatively comfortable compared to Loyola's dreaded Buddig and Biever. A nice refrigerator and stove is provided with some silverware, dishes, and cups.  I couldn't ask for more.

A pub is around every corner downtown and has more hospitality than most bars around downtown New Orleans.  The prices are not too high yet very similar to the prices of downtown New Orleans.  How could I complain?  If one looks around there are deals hiding, like at the bar called O'Reily's.  I really enjoy the Library Bar in the Central Hotel because it makes me feel intellectual.
This city is beginning to give me a strange feeling of familiarity, and I am now thinking to myself... "what a wonderful world."

3 comments:

  1. Your use of the Louis Armstrong motif gives the article good organization, and makes for a nice conclusion. I agree that the dorms are quite comfortable, though the dishes could be a bit bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the way you opened the blog by changing the lyrics of “What a Wonderful World.” It’s entertaining and immediately grabs the reader’s attention. The only other thing is that Trinity has a Protestant affiliation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice comparison between the two universities. Yes, Trinity is well guarded. People can walk in and out during the day, but the buildings and the grounds are cut off from the rest of the city. American Universities do not have such restrictions. Certainly Oxford colleges do as do some older European universities. Nice piece.

    ReplyDelete