Thursday, July 26, 2012

(Poelker) The Black Sheep

Across the Liffy from Trinity, a few blocks to west and a few more blocks north on Capel Street, surrounded by Asian fast food kitchens and around the corner from a chimney store (yes, a store specializing in fireplaces and chimneys) stands The Black Sheep. The flat grey exterior and a clever sign advertising “Crafty Beers,” drew my attention to the  menu posted outside which, featuring interesting combinations, vegetarian options and a €10 price range, had my friend and me through the door with little deliberation.

Contrary to what the name might suggest, once inside I felt pretty much at home. Some customers relaxed in leather couches near the window, larger groups of Dublin locals shared appetizers, and a few beardy fellows hunched over the bar enjoying one of The Black Sheep’s 23 available draught beers or one of the 110 craft beers in house. We took a table in the corner and as I struggled with the mixture of pride and nervousness that comes with being the only American tourist in the room (besides my friend) I noticed the hip but unassuming décor. On the wall to my left was a large picture of a bookcase which brought a sense not of cheap imitation but jovial irony. The wall near the bar had a group well framed portraits, a posh detail offset by a series of cheeky posters for the restaurant, the most notable of which read, “Join us on Facebook or Twitter …It’s Modern.” A smiling waitress brought over the menus which were smoothly printed in black and white and attached to clipboards, a detail that seemed to give the choices some metaphorical weight. Overall, the atmosphere was just cool enough without crossing the line into petty coyness or pompous ass-hole-ry.
A short wait brought the bartender (kind enough to leave his post) round to our table. I asked if they had any specialty beers on tap (a silly question) to which he responded with friendly surprise, “Eh, where d’you want me to start, I mean… we’ve got loads!” Without letting him go on too long naming beers that I wish I had the tolerance to have tried all of, I chose 5am Saint, a red ale by a relatively new UK brewery called BrewDog which was founded in 2007. The 5am Ale is an amber ale with a modest alcohol content of 5%. Since its brewed with 7 different kinds of hops it actually tastes more like an IPA, which I enjoyed; the hoppy flavour was less of a punch in the face and more of a gentle slap. (Beer lovers will also enjoy The Black Sheep’s tasting special which you to try a reasonable portion of three different draught beers for only €6.)
When it came time to choose among the many intriguing food options, I was disappointed that they were out of the sweet potato, spinach, and ricotta lasagne which the waitress informed us with regret was “Sooo good.” That being said, I ended up choosing a 100% Irish beef burger with chips (that’s French fries to the American reader) over the vegetarian couscous and sweet potato burger. While I like to be adventurous with food, the flavour of the beer had put me more in the mood for a protein feast then a vegetable patty, not to mention local food has its own advantages in taste and on the consciounse. Still, as I bit into the elegantly presented bap (meaning bun) I was surprised not only by the prefect tenderness and subtle flavours of the meat, but the quality of dressing. The meat was quite small for the bun, making it rather difficult to eat, but the lettuce and tomato that filled the rest of the sandwich was so fresh that I ended up eating it off of the plate with a knife and fork. As for the chips, which I’ve come to understand have quite a reputation, I was also surprised. I received what looked like a whole potato, sliced into 8 pieces and stacked like a game of Jenga next to my burger. While it was more like eating a potato than fast-food fries, the consistency was perfect and whatever they cook them in added a light, crisp flavour that needed no salt and very little ketchup. The portions were perfect and as washed down the last fry with the rest of my pint, I was satisfied without being stuffed.

The Black Sheep provides a friendly informed atmosphere, great food, and an incredible beer selection. I’d fully recommend it and or perhaps one of its two sister pubs in Dublin, Wexford Street’s Against the Grain and Amiens Street’s The Brew Dock. What’s more, I'm planning to go back for  some of that sweet potato, spinach, and ricotta lasagne.


1 comment:

  1. The food options don't really sound intriguing, but your discussion of your dinner is good. Why did you choose a British ale over an Irish option. Nice idea to point out their are sister/brother bars in Dublin. Did you try the other two?

    ReplyDelete