Tuesday, July 10, 2012

(Little) With or Without Me?

"Stephen closed his eyes to hear his boots crush crackling wrack and shells. You are walking through it howsomever. I am, a stride at a time. A very short space of time through very short times of space." 

I was swallowed by a disjointed sense of deja vu as I walked among the same crackling wrack and shells Stephen Dedalus did in the Proteus episode of Ulysses. My two afternoons spent wandering the shore of Sandycove served to further immerse my mind in the pages of James Joyce's most famous work. I walked with this misunderstood artist, my psyche straying in all directions just as his did. I asked myself the ambiguous questions of existence while the expansive Irish sea stewed solemnly, ignorant of my meandering train of thought. I found that Stephen and I have very similar perceptions of reality. 

"See now. There all the time without you: and ever shall be, world without end." 

My trips to Sandycove reminded me once again of the passionate fixation many Irish citizens have with James Joyce's life and work. Though the small beachfront town offers picturesque views of the Irish sea, and quaint, family friendly vacation destinations, the area's main attraction is the Martello Tower turned James Joyce Museum. Even after my visit to the museum itself, I couldn't help but wonder what James Joyce would have to say if he knew of the fandom he left behind in Dublin. In the Proteus Episode of Ulysses, Stephen decides that reality is a swift, unforgiving force determined to persist with or without his consent. The passionate Joyce-lovers in Dublin's community seem to foster the same belief, fearing the relentless, fast-paced nature of modernity as it threatens to leave their beloved James Joyce in the dust--damning him to the status of an ancient. These reverent citizens fight to keep the author in his well deserved spotlight. 

Although I am still in the process of forming an opinion on James Joyce's work, it didn't take but a moment for me to fall in love with the glorious scenery of Sandycove. I feel certain that  the James Joyce Museum will fade from my memory in good time, but I don't believe I will ever forget the first time I laid eyes on the beautiful Irish sea. While some might enjoy feverishly collecting thousands of useless facts concerning Joyce's life or his favorite color,  I would much rather bury myself in his words, his characters. Stephen and I walked side by side down the beach, listening to the sounds of the vast world around us. 

3 comments:

  1. I liked seeing the sea too. There's something awe inspiring about being in a different country, looking at a different ocean that's still a part of the world's one ocean. The way you identify with Joyce, blending your thoughts with those of the characters is intriguing. I also like that your "still forming an opinion about Joyce." It's good to live the question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent comments about not forgetting the sea and Sandymount. I am glad that you are looking at Dublin Through Joyce's eyes--not always agreeing--but understanding where he is coming from. I do not think anyone spent enough time at the top of the tower, wondering what Buck Mulligan was doing or what Stephen was thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice way to weave in your thoughts with Joyce's words. I enjoy the medaitative tone of it. I think you could do a series of posts like this one.

    ReplyDelete