Thursday, July 19, 2012

Hildebrand- Dublinomnomnom

Entrance on Dame Lane.
It's been scientifically suggested that indulging a food craving will prevent future binge incidents. I've taken this fact (opinion, whatever) to heart because it justifies eating a bit of what I want, when I want it. My first night in Dublin I knew I had to get some fish and chips. Unfortunately, the unnamed pub did not deliver for me. The fish was very much like what I've had in New Orleans: frozen cod deep fried for too long. Disappointed, I swore my aversion to cod was now set in stone and I'd not order fish and chips again. But my tummy got the better of me and I was out and about looking for cheap, deep-fried goodness.

 I shuffled down Dame Street and then I saw it- the neon sign of Malone's and the intensely good smell of fried somethings. The menu is very simple: fresh North Atlantic cod, Irish beef burger, battered sausage, and fried chicken. There were tiny variations from each item, but everything was around 5 euro and came with chips and a drink. I remembered my oath to avoid fish and chips but I fell to the pressure of signs around me that proclaimed "Best fish and chips in Dublin!" I now feel ashamed for my doubt. I scooted into a single booth and sipped my 7Up quietly, I listened to the gabbing of the large family sitting beside me. After about 4 minutes, my Iranian waitress brought out my tray.


Not my actual meal. Photo courtesy of William Murphy.

It was  huge box with a thick layer of chips along the bottom and a huge cut of fried cod on top. I was given my own personal bottle of vinegar and a generous dollop of homemade tartar sauce. Normally I'd turn my nose up to vinegar and tartar sauce, but I've found that when striving for the best food experience you have to trust the people at the restaurant and what they give you. So, with my reservations, I vinegar-ed up my box and tucked in. A feast for Irish gods, truly. Being from the south I've never had fresh cod but holy hell it was worth the wait. It's a sturdy, salty fish, perfect with the tangy homemade sauce. The chips are fresh cut, as well, and vary from tiny and crispy to thick and soft. A perfect fried meal, to be honest and I highly recommend it to anyone who thinks they don't like fish and chips.



3 comments:

  1. Literally about to get out of my seat and go get some fish and chips now. Well-organized piece and good tie in at the conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a really good piece. You had that element of searching as well as an excellent description of the food. The only thing I can think to add might be a bit about the restaurant's atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Megan, a bit more about the place and a couple more sentences about the food,maybe something about the chips. I enjoyed the review.

    ReplyDelete